Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram Houzz

Safely Painting A Bird Cage is Easier than You Think

safely painting a bird cage - ecos paints

Does your bird cage need a new paint job? Not sure what kind of paint to buy? Using conventional paints releases toxic VOCs that may pose health risks to your bird. Also, the last thing you want is your pet bird chewing on the cage rungs and ingesting flakes of paint which could potentially be harmful to its health. Choose ECOS Paints non-toxic*, pet-preferred** paints and use our tips below for safely painting a bird cage. It’s easier than you think!

*Conforms to ASTMD-4236, specifically concerning oral toxicity, skin irritation, and respiratory effects.

**Formulated without harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde and toluene which can cause sickness, irritation, and respiratory issues.

Supplies:

• Wire brush
  • Sandpaper
  • Cleaning cloths
  • Drop cloth
  • Paint brush
  • Pet preferred paint

How to Safely Paint a Bird Cage:

1. Clean the cage. After putting down a drop cloth to protect the surface under the cage, scrub the cage wire with a wire brush to remove any loose flakes, and then sand smooth. Wipe down with a damp cloth to remove any dust. If the cage isn’t cleaned properly, the paint won’t adhere correctly, so don’t rush through this step.

2. Choose a paint. Opt for something hard-wearing and formulated to bond with metal surfaces. Even more important, choose a non-toxic paint* like ECOS Pet Dwellings Paint.

3. Apply paint in thin coats. Paint can get drippy and messy very quickly on the small rungs of a bird cage. Have patience and take it slow with thin coats (at least 2). Depending on how small the rungs are, you may want to use an artist’s brush or small foam brush instead of a traditional paint brush.

4. Wait. Give your freshly painted cage at least 5-7 days to dry and solidly cure (curing times vary, so refer to the manufacturer’s application instructions for details). Warming the cage in sunlight will help the paint shrink tight and cure more quickly.

5. Provide plenty of perches. If you want to prolong the life of your bird cage and minimize paint damage, then create an environment with plenty of distractions, so your bird isn’t tempted to chew on the cage. Wire a variety of perches and branches to the inside of your bird cage and make sure there are plenty of toys to play with. That way your bird will be more preoccupied with what’s in the cage rather than the cage itself.

Ready to start your bird cage makeover? Order some free color samples of ECOS Pet Dwellings Paint today!

Here are more ways to keep your home safe for your bird!

is your air safe for your birds infographic

Infographic courtesy of the Bird Channel.

8 Comments

• Lucy Mariani says:

I am trying to find a paint that will not home I birds and make the cages beautiful so far I see that they eco paints seem to be the best where can I find them please let me know I have quite a few cages to paint as you see they are in my home and they have to look right and presentable thank you

• Melissa says:

I’ve got a large heavy black cage that needs repainted. Minimal rust. It’s too nice not to refinish. I’ve read how to repaint it but no where have I read if I can spray paint the plastic tray with the same paint I’m using on the cage. Also, everywhere states to never cover a freshly painted cage but doesn’t list an appropriate amount of time when I can cover. I wouldn’t put my birds in a cage for at least 3 weeks after painting and washing 2 times. By then, is it safe for occupancy and to cover up with birdies inside? Thanks!
    Any idea of if the cage is wrought iron, does it change the recommendations? It’s so heavy that I’m guessing it’s wrought iron. There’s no paint chipping. It’s just very dull with little rust caused by twistie ties. I think it was left outside for a long time.

• ecospaints says:

Hi Melissa,

We specialize in non-toxic, zero-VOC finishes and even have a special paint just for bird cages. We can’t speak to other products, but ours would work on the plastic tray if you scuffed it a bit with sandpaper first to help the paint adhere. Scuff the finish on the metal, as well, and then begin with a coat of primer before doing coats of paint. With our paint, it’s okay to cover the cage with the birds inside as soon as the finish has cured. You can find our products here: http://www.ecospaints.net/browse/?features_hash=9-6288 Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. Thanks!

• laurie mendicino says:

Does Eco have spray paint to paint bird cages?

• Angelo cuttaia says:

I have alarmed bird cage that is white and I want to paint it black I would most likely brush this on can u give me a idea how much I would need when I say large it is 3ft wide and 4 to 5 ft high

• ecospaints says:

Hello Angelo,

Thanks for your interest in ECOS Paints! Spread rate depends upon the substrate porosity and finish type, but maximum spread rate is 140 sq. ft. per
      quart. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. We’re happy to help!

• Teri Shaw says:

This is fantastic news!! Me & thousands of people in my parrot groups are under the impression we can’t safely paint bird cages. I LOVE this, took notes & will pass the word!!

1 Trackback