Do I need a primer for this color?
Some colors, especially yellows, reds and oranges, and other dark accent colors, are considered to be “poor hiding” colors. That means they usually need a primer because, despite their strong, vibrant color, they’re not good at hiding the color they’re covering.
Using a grey (under dark colors) or tinted (under light colors) primer can help you avoid having to apply multiple coats of paint. A tinted primer helps prepare the existing surface for color. You’ll typically only need to apply two coats of paint over tinted primer to get that perfect result. ECOS colors that benefit from additional coats or a tinted primer are marked in our color library (select Fan Deck View) with a roller icon
Still trying to figure out if you need a primer? Click here to print a zig-zag patterned card you can use to test your paint sample.
Please note: this guidance is specifically related to color selection. We recommend using one of our primers if painting over a higher gloss finish, a darker color, or applying an accent color, or if applying over bare or heavily sanded surfaces.
Painting Tips to Improve “Hide"
- Choose a high-quality paint like ECOS.
- Combine multiple cans of the same color before painting.
- Stir paint thoroughly before painting.
- Don’t thin or dilute the paint with water.
- Use the correct primer as described above, or when you’re applying paint over a porous surface.
- Spread the paint evenly and smoothly.
- Allow the full drying time between coats.
- Use high-quality brushes, rollers, and tools.
All-In-One Painter's Kit
Everything you need for a successful project with ECOS Paints, conveniently supplied in a packaged paint roller tray kit and shipped direct to your doorstep!...More Details
- Shipping Estimate
- Application Instructions
- Product Code: all-in-one-kit
- Availability: In Stock
Our paint roller tray kit includes all the essential tools for your upcoming painting project. Get everything you need for a successful project with ECOS Paints, conveniently supplied in a packaged paint roller kit and shipped direct to your doorstep!
ECOS Paints All in One Painters Kit includes:
- 1x 9-1/2" roller tray
- 2x roller tray liners
- 1x commercial grade roller cage
- 2x 3/8" nap roller covers
- 1x roll of premium blue painters' tape
- 1x 2-1/2" silver tip angle sash brush
- 1x premium drop cloth
Item brand and color may vary from picture