Do I need a primer for this color?
Some colors, especially yellows, reds and oranges, and other dark accent colors, are considered to be “poor hiding” colors. That means they usually need a primer because, despite their strong, vibrant color, they’re not good at hiding the color they’re covering.
Using a grey (under dark colors) or tinted (under light colors) primer can help you avoid having to apply multiple coats of paint. A tinted primer helps prepare the existing surface for color. You’ll typically only need to apply two coats of paint over tinted primer to get that perfect result. ECOS colors that benefit from additional coats or a tinted primer are marked in our color library (select Fan Deck View) with a roller icon
Still trying to figure out if you need a primer? Click here to print a zig-zag patterned card you can use to test your paint sample.
Please note: this guidance is specifically related to color selection. We recommend using one of our primers if painting over a higher gloss finish, a darker color, or applying an accent color, or if applying over bare or heavily sanded surfaces.
Painting Tips to Improve “Hide"
- Choose a high-quality paint like ECOS.
- Combine multiple cans of the same color before painting.
- Stir paint thoroughly before painting.
- Don’t thin or dilute the paint with water.
- Use the correct primer as described above, or when you’re applying paint over a porous surface.
- Spread the paint evenly and smoothly.
- Allow the full drying time between coats.
- Use high-quality brushes, rollers, and tools.
2oz Concrete Sealer Sample
Try a 2oz sample of a Color Concrete Sealer color to see how it will look in person...More Details
- Shipping Estimate
- Application Instructions
- Product Code: colorconc-smple
- Availability: In Stock
Samples ship FREE
Get $10 off your next order when you purchase 3 or more samples!*
*Eligible on purchases of one gallon or more; limit one per customer
Steps to Purchase
Colors on screen do not necessarily provide an accurate representation. Getting a sample is recommended prior to ordering.
2) Add to Cart:
ECOS Concrete Sealer is an acrylic based tinted, medium sheen, solvent-free water repellent, effective for use on concrete, masonry, brickwork, and plaster. ECOS Solid Color Concrete Stain will shed water and mud and protects against many stains. Recommended for application on walls, flooring, patios, walkways and concrete decking. Not recommended for garages.
- ✔ Zero VOC1
- ✔ No Odor2
- 1Conforms to CDPH 01350 (VOC emissions test taken at 14 days).
- 2No traditional paint (polyurethane) odor, which can cause headaches, nausea, and respiratory issues.