Do I need a primer for this color?
Some colors, especially yellows, reds and oranges, and other dark accent colors, are considered to be “poor hiding” colors. That means they usually need a primer because, despite their strong, vibrant color, they’re not good at hiding the color they’re covering.
Using a grey (under dark colors) or tinted (under light colors) primer can help you avoid having to apply multiple coats of paint. A tinted primer helps prepare the existing surface for color. You’ll typically only need to apply two coats of paint over tinted primer to get that perfect result. ECOS colors that benefit from additional coats or a tinted primer are marked in our color library (select Fan Deck View) with a roller icon
Still trying to figure out if you need a primer? Click here to print a zig-zag patterned card you can use to test your paint sample.
Please note: this guidance is specifically related to color selection. We recommend using one of our primers if painting over a higher gloss finish, a darker color, or applying an accent color, or if applying over bare or heavily sanded surfaces.
Painting Tips to Improve “Hide"
- Choose a high-quality paint like ECOS.
- Combine multiple cans of the same color before painting.
- Stir paint thoroughly before painting.
- Don’t thin or dilute the paint with water.
- Use the correct primer as described above, or when you’re applying paint over a porous surface.
- Spread the paint evenly and smoothly.
- Allow the full drying time between coats.
- Use high-quality brushes, rollers, and tools.
Welcome to ECOS Sample Packs
Product Assortment Packs. Each pack contains six 2oz samples. Discount Price of $14.95 per Pack....More Details
- Shipping Estimate
- Application Instructions
- Product Code: sample-pack-ecos
- Availability: In Stock
Steps to Purchase
2) Add to Cart:
Product Assortment Packs.
Each pack contains six 2oz samples.
Discount Price of $14.95 per Pack.
Selections are chosen to showcase a specific range of products which can be tested for performance, odor, chemical sensitivity, and compatibility.
#1 Welcome Variety Pack
#2 Paints & Primers Pack
#3 Stains & Varnishes Pack
- ✔ Zero VOC1
- ✔ No Odor2
- 1Conforms to CDPH 01350 (VOC emissions test taken at 14 days).
- 2No traditional paint (polyurethane) odor, which can cause headaches, nausea, and respiratory issues.
Includes FREE USPS Priority Mail shipping
Note: Contents of the packs cannot be substituted