Do I need a primer for this color?
Some colors, especially yellows, reds and oranges, and other dark accent colors, are considered to be “poor hiding” colors. That means they usually need a primer because, despite their strong, vibrant color, they’re not good at hiding the color they’re covering.
Using a grey (under dark colors) or tinted (under light colors) primer can help you avoid having to apply multiple coats of paint. A tinted primer helps prepare the existing surface for color. You’ll typically only need to apply two coats of paint over tinted primer to get that perfect result. ECOS colors that benefit from additional coats or a tinted primer are marked in our color library (select Fan Deck View) with a roller icon
Still trying to figure out if you need a primer? Click here to print a zig-zag patterned card you can use to test your paint sample.
Please note: this guidance is specifically related to color selection. We recommend using one of our primers if painting over a higher gloss finish, a darker color, or applying an accent color, or if applying over bare or heavily sanded surfaces.
Painting Tips to Improve “Hide"
- Choose a high-quality paint like ECOS.
- Combine multiple cans of the same color before painting.
- Stir paint thoroughly before painting.
- Don’t thin or dilute the paint with water.
- Use the correct primer as described above, or when you’re applying paint over a porous surface.
- Spread the paint evenly and smoothly.
- Allow the full drying time between coats.
- Use high-quality brushes, rollers, and tools.
Stone & Tile Sealer
Stone & Tile Sealer is a protective sealer for use on most floors and worktop counters made from stone, tile, marble, and other hard materials. Can also be used on joint cement and grout. Odorless, non-toxic, and VOC-free. Not ideally suited to polished granite or similar....More Details
- Shipping Estimate
- Application Instructions
- Product Code: 700355463887
- Availability: In Stock
Steps to Purchase1) Choose Quantity: Calculate Coverage
2) Add to Cart:
Suitable for floors and worktops. Use on plain and rough stone and unglazed tiles including terracotta, slate, limestone, marble, sandstone, reconstituted stones and tiles, and also the cement/grout used in-between. Not ideally suited to polished granite or similar.
- ✔ Zero VOC1
- ✔ No Odor2
- ✔ Non-Toxic3
- 1Conforms to CDPH 01350 (VOC emissions test taken at 14 days).
- 2No traditional paint (polyurethane) odor, which can cause headaches, nausea, and respiratory issues.
- 3Conforms to ASTMD-4236, specifically concerning oral toxicity, skin irritation and respiratory effects.
Click buttons below to download data sheets
Stone & Tile SDSClick to download
Stone & Tile Application InstructionsClick to download
Stone & Tile Sealer
Add all surfaces to be painted then remove openings, like doors and windows
|Preparation||Ensure the surface is sound, dry, non-dusty, non-greasy. If in doubt as to the suitability of this product, test on scrap/spare piece is recommended.|
|Application and Clean Up||Shake or stir before use. Apply one thin coat by spray, brush, roller, squeegee or sponge - depending on the porosity of the substrate. Do not allow pooling of the product. Remove any surface residual liquid straight away with a sponge or cloth. Dries in approximately 1 to 2 hours, depending on local ventilation. Clean equipment with water.|
|Coverage||300 sq. ft. per gallon|