Do I Need A Primer?
Some colors, especially yellows, reds and oranges, and other dark accent colors, are considered by the paint industry to be “poor hiding” colors. That means they usually need a primer because, despite their strong, vibrant color, they’re not good at hiding the color they’re covering.
Using a grey or tinted primer can help you avoid having to apply multiple coats of paint to get the color you want. A tinted primer will help prepare the existing surface for your color. After that, you’ll typically only need to apply two coats of paint to get that perfect result.
At ECOS, we can help you tell which colors need a primer. Click here to print a zig-zag patterned paint card you can use to test your paint sample. Apply two coats of paint over the pattern. If you can still see the pattern through the paint, you’ll get better results if you use a grey or tinted primer under your color.
Painting Tips to Improve “Hide"
- Always choose a high-quality paint like ECOS.
- If you have multiple cans of the same color, combine them before you start to paint.
- Always stir paint thoroughly before painting.
- Don’t thin or dilute the paint with water.
- Use the correct primer as described above, or when you’re applying paint over a porous surface.
- Don’t spread the paint too thinly or unevenly.
- Allow the recommended drying time between coats.
- Always use high-quality brushes, rollers, and other tools.
Select a Color
Pick one of our simple options to choose your perfect color.
Match another paint brand in our award-winning paint and pigments.
Enter your color match below
Nature's Palette Colors
The expansive, dramatic skies add saturation to the wide-ranging palette.
The warmth of the palette also reflects the flowering hues of springtime.
From the deep blues of the mountain ranges to the brightly colored flora and fauna, this ecoregion also boasts highly saturated primary colors.
The warms and cools of this palette are uniformly vibrant and saturated.
This set of nine neutral colors is meant to complement the other ECOS System palettes.
ECOS Classic Colors
ECOS Original Colors
Colorless, easy to use sealer for use over ECOS Filler.
- Product Code: 700355463740
- Availability: In Stock
2 Steps to Purchase2) Choose Quantity: Calculate Coverage
3) Add to Cart:
This clear, colorless liquid is used on top of fillers to seal them, particularly before the use of Gloss, Satin, Feng Shui or Eggshell paint systems.
We recommend the use of a quality gypsum-based powder filler (like ECOS Filler) and, specifically, cannot recommend the use of any "Own Brand" or quick-drying fillers.
- ✔ Zero VOC1
- ✔ No Odor2
- 1Conforms to CDPH 01350 (VOC emissions test taken at 14 days).
- 2No traditional paint (polyurethane) odor, which can cause headaches, nausea, and respiratory issues.
|Preparation||Abrade the dry filler to a flat surface and brush/wipe free of dust. WARNING: Older buildings may contain lead-based paint, which requires professional remediation if it is disturbed. If in doubt, consult with a professional from a Lead-Safe Certified Firm.|
|Application and Clean Up||Apply thinly over all areas of fillers before priming or otherwise painting, and allow to dry thoroughly before over-coating – a minimum of 3 hours.|
|Coverage||350 sq. ft. per gallon|