Do I need a primer for this color?
Some colors, especially yellows, reds and oranges, and other dark accent colors, are considered to be “poor hiding” colors. That means they usually need a primer because, despite their strong, vibrant color, they’re not good at hiding the color they’re covering.
Using a grey (under dark colors) or tinted (under light colors) primer can help you avoid having to apply multiple coats of paint. A tinted primer helps prepare the existing surface for color. You’ll typically only need to apply two coats of paint over tinted primer to get that perfect result. ECOS colors that benefit from additional coats or a tinted primer are marked in our color library (select Fan Deck View) with a roller icon
Still trying to figure out if you need a primer? Click here to print a zig-zag patterned card you can use to test your paint sample.
Please note: this guidance is specifically related to color selection. We recommend using one of our primers if painting over a higher gloss finish, a darker color, or applying an accent color, or if applying over bare or heavily sanded surfaces.
Painting Tips to Improve “Hide"
- Choose a high-quality paint like ECOS.
- Combine multiple cans of the same color before painting.
- Stir paint thoroughly before painting.
- Don’t thin or dilute the paint with water.
- Use the correct primer as described above, or when you’re applying paint over a porous surface.
- Spread the paint evenly and smoothly.
- Allow the full drying time between coats.
- Use high-quality brushes, rollers, and tools.
Filler Sealer is a clear, colorless liquid used on top of fillers to seal them, before the application of ECOS paints. As with all ECOS products, this is a water based, odorless, non-toxic, and VOC-free product....More Details
- Shipping Estimate
- Application Instructions
- Product Code: 700355463740
- Availability: In Stock
Steps to Purchase1) Choose Quantity: Calculate Coverage
2) Add to Cart:
This clear, colorless liquid is used on top of fillers to seal them, particularly before the use of Gloss, Satin, Feng Shui or Eggshell paint systems.
We recommend the use of a quality gypsum-based powder filler (like ECOS Filler) and, specifically, cannot recommend the use of any "Own Brand" or quick-drying fillers.
- ✔ Zero VOC1
- ✔ No Odor2
- ✔ Non-Toxic3
- 1Conforms to CDPH 01350 (VOC emissions test taken at 14 days).
- 2No traditional paint (polyurethane) odor, which can cause headaches, nausea, and respiratory issues.
- 3Conforms to ASTMD-4236, specifically concerning oral toxicity, skin irritation and respiratory effects.
Click buttons below to download data sheets
Filler Sealer SDSClick to download
Filler Sealer Application InstructionsClick to download
Add all surfaces to be painted then remove openings, like doors and windows
|Preparation||Abrade the dry filler to a flat surface and brush/wipe free of dust. WARNING: Older buildings may contain lead-based paint, which requires professional remediation if it is disturbed. If in doubt, consult with a professional from a Lead-Safe Certified Firm.|
|Application and Clean Up||Apply thinly over all areas of fillers before priming or otherwise painting, and allow to dry thoroughly before over-coating – a minimum of 3 hours.|
|Coverage||350 sq. ft. per gallon|